Update 20100915: added WinSplit
Update 20090830: took out anti-virus software. I now run Windows without it. Also, added CDBurnerXP.
This entry was originally posted on November 22, 2005. I made some modifications to it. Right now I am giving Google Reader a try. Therefore FeedDemon is not part of my essentials anymore.
I recently rebuilt my laptop. On my workstation, I have used a few things that do not come with Windows, like VIM, Firefox, SSH client, Desktop Search, RSS / Atom reader, etc. I have also did some customization settings change to suit my tastes and needs. I thought I would do this many more times in the future, so I prepared this list. I will update this post as I move along or remember things.
0. Save off setting files from the machine before rebuild. Currently I need to save _vimrc, SlickRun MagicWords, Oracle glogin.ini, tnsname.ora, sqlnet.ora, ldap.ora, favorites in my Firefox, registered Sql Servers and groups, opml files, sqlcmd initialization file, my work folders and files, and VPN certificate;
1. AVG Free Edition anti virus software
2. Enable ClearType for display, this is good especially if you have a flat monitor
3. Google Desktop searchNot sure if I need it anymore.
4. Open up explorer and adjust the view options of folders: show all hidden files and folders, display full path in the address bar, unhide system files, use Windows classic display, enable QuickEdit for DOS window.
7. Adobe Acrobat Reader
10. Put putty into vim executable folder, add that folder to system PATH variable so I can launch PuTTY and vi from anywhere. Associate txt and sql extension to VIM
11. Chinese Language Pack. This will be prompted when I visit a Chinese site in IE. Windows installation media is needed.
12. Flickr Uploadr
13. Microsoft Office. I don’t use Office personally, but I need to have it for my better half
14. ZiGuang for Chinese entry. See my post here for setup instructions.Google Pinyin
16. Sql Server 2005 Developer edition and latest Sql Server Book on line
17. CygwinInstall as necessary.
18. Disable Outlook new mail notification
19. ActiveState Perl
20. Toad for OracleInstall as necessary
21. ISO Recorder if CD-RW drive is present on the machine
22. CutePDFNot sure if I need it.
Firefox customizations and extensions
5. Google NotebookNo longer exists
6. Google Web Comments
8. IE View
9. Nuke Anything Enhanced
10. PDF Download
1. Flickr Titles + Descriptions Batch Tools
So what software do you consider essential? Share that with me by commenting below.