Starting around last Friday, I think, this site became irresponsive. Checking Tengine/Nginx error logs, here is a sample of what I saw:
2014/03/xx 08:43:40 [error] 3837#0: *6149 connect() to unix:/var/run/php-fastcgi/php-fastcgi.socket failed (11: Resource temporarily unavailable) while connecting to upstream, client: xxx.xx.xxx.xxx, server: haidongji.com, request: "POST /xmlrpc.php HTTP/1.0", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php-fastcgi/php-fastcgi.socket:", host: "www.haidongji.com"
2014/03/xx 08:45:13 [error] 3837#0: *6151 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: x.xxx.xx.xxx, server: haidongji.com, request: "GET /wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:dokuwiki HTTP/1.0", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php-fastcgi/php-fastcgi.socket", host: "www.haidongji.com", referrer: "http://www.haidongji.com/"
2014/03/xx 08:46:00 [error] 3837#0: *6159 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: xx.xxx.xx.xxx, server: haidongji.com, request: "GET /category/technology/mysql/feed/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php-fastcgi/php-fastcgi.socket", host: "www.haidongji.com"
So I started researching. A number of web pages, including StackOverflow, recommended increasing values for some or all of the following Tengine/Nginx parameters, so time out wouldn’t occur:
Those suggestion appeared to be reasonable. So I tried raising those parameter values one at a time. Their default value is 60 seconds. I raised them to 600 just to test.
In my case, the problem persisted. The only difference was that the site suffered a slower death and the few minutes it was able to stay alive, the site was terribly slow and unacceptable.
At this point I’d spent hours debugging this. I decided to give myself a break and come back to it the next day. Before falling asleep, I wrote down a note of checking some reputable forums the search engines may not necessarily able to get, such as Linode’s forums. Failing that, I am determined to read up on more documentation and code to get to the bottom of this.
It turned out that Linode’s forum provided the necessary clue to finally resolve this. The problem lies in the WordPress blog publishing update service. The idea behind it was to notify blog aggregators like Technorati/Feedburner (remember them?) as soon as you publish a blog. One of the aggregator sites listed in my WordPress setting decided to not accepting those notifications anymore. Not knowing this, WordPress still tries to send notification out in vain, which caused the whole mess. After removing that URL, everything went back to normal.
On your WordPress admin page, you can find which URL your blog pings to by going to: Settings -> Writing -> Update Services. Update: The same problem happened again. So I removed pingomatic.com also. Now my WordPress does not ping or update anybody. So far the site has been stable.
Hope this helps!
After working on a problem for a long time and you are stuck, take a break, go for a walk, find a friend to talk to and describe the issue and what you’ve done thus far. You’d be surprised at how effective this can be.